WAFP/WAFP-Foundation Summer Externship
Applications Accepted: September 2017- November 23 2017
Applications Reviewed: December 2017 - January 2018
Recipient Notified: By January 31 2018
The Wisconsin Academy of Family Physicians (WAFP) together with the WAFP-Foundation is seeking two medical students with a strong interest in Family Medicine during the summer of 2018. The students will work in multiple settings – rotating between the WAFP/Foundation office and a clinical setting with a family physician preceptor. Through these settings students will have experience in a clinical setting, in leadership development, workforce development, advocacy and philanthropic activities. The stipend for the eight-week program is $3200. Stipends will be received in two equal installments: the first installment will be distributed after completion of the first four weeks and the second after completion of the final four weeks.
The goals of this Summer Externship are:
- To provide students an early one-on-one experience with a Family Physician to gain an understanding and appreciation for primary care medicine.
- To provide students an early opportunity to be mentored and trained in order to maximize the students' experience through subsequent medical training, opportunities in residency choice and future practice prospects.
- To provide students with an opportunity to gain perspective for the specialty of Family Medicine within the state professional association (WAFP) by participating in activities and projects initiated through committee work.
- To provide students with a leadership development experience within WAFP and WAFP-Foundation by working with both volunteer and staff leaders.
- To provide students with experience in advocacy efforts through lobbying efforts with WAFP and its lobbying team.
- To provide students experience in philanthropic projects of the WAFP-Foundation.
- Attend National Conference for Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students in Kansas City August 2-4, 2018 and any WAFP sponsored activities related to National Conference as part of the externship experience. (WAFP will cover the cost of travel, hotel and conference registration.)
Student Extern responsibilities are:
- To commit to the completion of the program (8 weeks).
- To conduct yourself in a professional manner and be accountable to your matched preceptor and the executive directors of the WAFP and WAFP-Foundation.
- To be a learner, not expecting to behave as a physician. The WAFP/WAFP-Foundation wants you to enjoy your experience.
- To submit your evaluation and to submit an essay upon completion of your experience (to receive your 2nd check).
Interested in becoming a preceptor for these students? For more information, click here.